New Mexico VA Health Care System
Patient Needs / Donations
Monetary Donations - Monetary donations enhance VA Voluntary Service programs. Following are some of the accounts to which donations may be made.
- General Purpose – Provides means of support for programs or activities that assist in accomplishing the goal of “Putting Veterans First.”
- Coffee – For supplies in support of all patient coffee programs.
- Canteen Books – to purchase canteen books used for patient needs and special programs.
- Christmas – Used for Christmas gifts and activities for patients.
Donations may also be made to support various Recreation Therapy Service activities, SCI Unit activities, and support for the out-based clinics.
Donations may be made for any of the above purposes by individuals or organizations. Please do not send cash. Make checks or money orders payable to: NMVAHCS.
- Men’s Clothing – New and used shirts, denim pants, coats, jackets, gloves, scarves, tennis shoes, hiking boots, and hats accepted. Used clothing needs to be clean and in good condition.
- Socks and Underwear – Only NEW socks and underwear will be accepted.
- Reading Materials – Paperback books, Western, science fiction, autobiographies preferred; and magazines, no older than three months.
- Games, Playing Cards, Puzzle Books, Puzzles. New or used if in good condition.
- Telephone Calling Cards – For patient use.
- Coffee Supplies – coffee, condiments, cups, etc.
- Personal Comfort Items – Toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, shaving cream, lotion, powder, combs, etc. All items, such as mouthwash, must be alcohol free. Razors should not be included in individual kits, but can be accepted in bulk.
- Lap Robes – Used for the comfort of patients.
- Miscellaneous Items – Nail clippers, emery boards, small mirrors, brushes, sewing kits, etc.
New Service! E-Donate
Simple. Speedy. Safe. The new E-Donate service now available online allows community members who wish to give back to Veterans a quick, safe way to pledge their support. Through E-Donate, donors can select from a number of accounts at the medical center they wish to donate to. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administrative costs are appropriated so donors can be 100 percent certain their donations will go directly to the funds and Veteran patients they select.
The actual donation is made through a secure site at the Department of Treasury’s www.pay.gov. A minimum of $5 is required for online donation and you can donate by any electronic means commonly used on the Internet today (i.e. credit card or debit card). You choose the medical center, you choose the amount, and you choose from available options how your money will support local Veterans.
Thank you for your interest in New Mexico Veterans Affairs Health Care System. If you or your organization wish to donate to NMVAHCS, please contact the Voluntary Service office at 505-256-2771. We will be happy to furnish any further information you may need or assist you with decisions as to types of donations.
Your sincere desire to provide care and comfort for Veteran patients makes a major impact in providing necessities and amenities that might not otherwise be available. In order to properly acknowledge a donation, please supply us with the name and address of the person who should receive a letter.
Your donations are appreciated!