New Mexico VA Health Care System
Albuquerque Fisher House
In an effort to provide care and support for the VA community during the COVID-19 pandemic, Fisher House availability may be impacted by VA Medical Center visitor restrictions. For up to date information on the status of the Albuquerque VA Fisher House, please contact the Fisher House directly at 505-265-1711 x3180.
A 'home away from home'
The Albuquerque Fisher House, which was dedicated in October 2019, is the 85th Fisher House constructed and gifted to a VA or military installation by the Fisher House Foundation. It is located on the parade grounds of the historic New Mexico VA campus, allowing families who meet eligibility criteria to be within walking distance of their hospitalized Veteran or active duty Service Member. The Fisher House Program keeps families close to their hospitalized loved one during a medical crisis and allows them to focus on what's important--the healing process. A Fisher House is a temporary residence, NOT a treatment facility, hospice, counseling center, or homeless shelter. The Albuquerque Fisher House celebrated its first anniversary in October 2020. During our inaugural year, we were able to host 110 families, saving military and Veteran families over $81,000 in just one year of operation—during a global pandemic! Please click this link for the Albuquerque Fisher House Virtual Walk-Through Tour on YouTube.
Because a family’s love is good medicine A family must be referred by their Veteran’s VA health care provider via CPRS consult, requests cannot be made directly to the Fisher House. Active Duty families must call the Fisher House Program Manger directly at 505-265-1711 x7332. A referral is a request and does not guarantee a reservation; reservations are based on eligibility and availability. A family with a reservation is provided one private suite to share, and they cannot exceed the maximum occupancy of the room. Families share a communal kitchen, laundry room, dining room, and family rooms with all other guests in the house. Children are welcome at the Fisher House but must always be supervised by their guardian. Animals are not allowed. Service Dogs are allowed if they belong to the registered guest, provide proof of vaccinations and guest abides by Service Dog rules.
To be eligible for accommodations, families must meet the following requirements:
- 50 miles/2-hour commute from NMVAMC
- Family member/caregiver of a Veteran receiving care through the VA
- Actively engaged in the hospitalized Veteran's treatment plan
- Medically stable and capable of self-care
- Independent and able to live in a communal setting
- Living in stable, permanent housing (not homeless)
- Is free from communicable diseases (flu, chicken pox, C-Diff, etc)
- Abide by the Fisher House Guest Agreement and Rules
A family cannot request a reservation directly from the Fisher House, they must be referred by their Veteran’s VA health care provider. The VA provider submits a referral via electronic consult. A referral is a request and does not guarantee a reservation because reservations are based on eligibility screening and availability. If a family is screened to be eligible and there is availability, a reservation can be made. A family with a reservation is provided one private suite to share, and they cannot exceed the maximum occupancy of the room. Families share a communal kitchen, laundry room, dining room, and family rooms with all other guests in the house. Children are welcome at the Fisher House but must always be supervised by their guardian.
Families who are guests at the Fisher House must abide by the Guest Agreement and House Rules to maintain their reservation.
- Guest Agreement
- COVID-19 Agreement
- Agreement for Guests with Children
- Service Dog Agreement
- Guest Agreement for Oxygen
How you can help
Thanks to the generosity of our community, we are able to keep our Fisher House families comforted during their stay. You can support the Fisher House mission in the following ways:
- The Meal Train program has been suspended until further notice due to COVID-19.
- Please consider sponsoring a meal by donating restaurant/GrubHub/DoorDash/UberEats/Visa gift cards for guests to have meals upon their arrival.
- Amazon Wish List. Be sure to order through Amazon Smile and register the Fisher House as your designated charity
- Refer to our current wish list in this month’s ABQ Fisher House Monthly Newsletter
- Secure e-Donations can be made at https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/52238064. Be sure to select “General Purpose/Veterans Needs” and type “For Albuquerque Fisher House” in the Additional Information box.
- Mail a check to 1501 San Pedro SE, Attn: Fisher House, Bldg. 85, Albuquerque, NM 87108
- Donate Visa, store, or gas cards in $25 denominations and mail directly to the Fisher House at 1501 San Pedro SE, Attn: Fisher House, Bldg. 85, Albuquerque, NM 87108
If you have a donation that may be a better fit for another VA Service or Department, please contact the Voluntary Service office at 505-265-1711 x2771. They will be happy to assist in making decisions as to the types of donations the VA may need at this time. There are numerous VA programs that operate thanks to the generous donations from the community.
To ensure that your donation is accepted, please be aware of the following donation guidelines:
- All items must be new--preferably still in the wrapper/box with registration/warranty information. Used or opened items will not be accepted.
- If you mail items, please try to fill out a Donation Form to accompany your mailing or ensure that your name and contact information is sent with the package so that Fisher House staff can return a Donation Receipt.
- Due to COVID-19, visitors are not allowed at the Fisher House until further notice. Please mail in all donations or leave them with the staff at the Voluntary Service desk in Building 53.
Fisher House Foundation.
Albuquerque Fisher House Virtual Walk-Through Tour
Amazon Wish List
Agreement for Guests with Children
Service Dog Agreement
Guest Agreeement for Oxygen
NMVA Electronic Monetary Donation Form