New Mexico VA Health Care System
Albuquerque Fisher House
Because a family’s love is good medicine
In an effort to provide care and support for the VA community during the COVID-19 pandemic, Fisher House availability may be impacted by VA Medical Center visitor restrictions. For up to date information on the status of the Albuquerque VA Fisher House, please contact the Fisher House directly at 505-265-1711 x3180.
The 85th Fisher House In Operaton
The Albuquerque Fisher House is located on the parade grounds of the historic New Mexico VA campus, allowing families who meet eligibility criteria to be within walking distance of their hospitalized Veteran. This program keeps families close to their Veteran during a medical crisis and allows them to focus on what's important--the healing process. This is the 85th Fisher House constructed and gifted to a VA or military installation by the Fisher House Foundation. The Albuquerque Fisher House can accommodate up to 16 veteran’s families (family members share one suite with a private restroom). All 16 families share a common kitchen, laundry room, dining room, and living room. A Fisher House is a temporary residence, NOT a treatment facility, hospice, counseling center, or homeless shelter.
To be considered for accommodations, families must meet the following requirements:
- 50 miles/2-hour commute from NMVAMC
- Family member/caregiver of a Veteran receiving care through the VA
- Actively engaged in the hospitalized Veteran's treatment plan
- Medically stable and capable of self-care
- Independent and able to live in a communal setting
- Living in stable, permanent housing (not homeless)
- Is free from communicable diseases (flu, chicken pox, C-Diff, etc)
- Abide by the Fisher House Guest Agreement and Rules
A ‘home away from home’
A family cannot request a reservation directly from the Fisher House, they must be referred by their Veteran’s VA health care provider. The VA provider submits a referral via electronic consult. A referral is a request and does not guarantee a reservation because reservations are based on eligibility screening and availability. If a family is screened to be eligible and there is availability, a reservation can be made. A family with a reservation is provided one private suite to share, and they cannot exceed the maximum occupancy of the room. Families share a communal kitchen, laundry room, dining room, and family rooms with all other guests in the house. Children are welcome at the Fisher House but must always be supervised by their guardian.
Families who are guests at the Fisher House must abide by the Guest Agreement and House Rules to maintain their reservation.
- Weapons, alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco products, gambling, and soliciting are prohibited.
- Disruptive behavior is prohibited.
- Only authorized guests are permitted in the house. Keys are nontransferable.
- Quiet hours are strictly enforced.
- Unauthorized visitors are not allowed. Visitors must be approved by the Fisher House staff and are not allowed in bedrooms.
- No food or drinks – except water – is allowed in bedrooms.
- Animals are not allowed. Service Dogs are allowed if they belong to the registered guest, provide proof of vaccinations and guest abides by Service Dog rules.
- Guests are responsible for cleaning after themselves.
- Guests are responsible for damage they cause to Fisher House property.
Help make a difference
Through the kindness and generosity of the public, we can provide a safe, comfortable home for our Fisher House families. You can support the Fisher House in the following ways:
- The Meal Train program has been suspended until further notice due to COVID-19. Please consider contacting the Fisher House to sponsor a meal delivery or provide restaurant cards for guests.
- Purchase items on one of our Wish List Registries:
- Make a monetary donation:
- Secure e-Donations: www.albuquerque.va.gov and click on “e-Donate” button
- Mail a check to: 1501 San Pedro SE, Attn: Fisher House, Bldg. 85, Albuquerque, NM 87108
- Donate store or gas cards in $25 denominations
- If you have a donation that may be a better fit for another VA Service or Department, please contact the Voluntary Service office at 505-265-1711 x2771. They will be happy to assist in making decisions as to the types of donations the VA may need at this time. There are numerous VA programs that operate thanks to the generous donations from the community.
To ensure that your donation is accepted, please be aware of the following donation guidelines:
- All items must be new--preferably still in the wrapper/box with registration/warranty information. Used or opened items will not be accepted.
- A donation slip will be filled out for each item received at the Fisher House. If you mail items, please be sure to include your name and contact information or email the Fisher House staff with this information.
- Due to COVID-19, visitors are not allowed at the Fisher House until further notice.
Your generosity and support of the state’s first Fisher House is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Fisher House Program Manager.