New Mexico VA Health Care System
Physician Assistant Post Graduate Residency in Mental Health (Psychiatry)
Physician Assistant Post-Graduate Residency in Mental Health (Psychiatry)
- Would you like to further your education and get specialty training in Psychiatry?
- Are you interested in serving our nation’s veterans in a culturally diverse teaching hospital?
- Do you want to spend a year being well paid to learn?
- If so contact us to request an application!
The New Mexico VA Health Care System, located in Albuquerque, is seeking two individuals for a 1 year paid Physician Assistant post-graduate residency in Psychiatry. Training will occur in both inpatient and outpatient settings and is tailored to allow graduates to sit for the Psychiatry CAQ. Graduates will be eligible for direct appointment to full time positions within the VA.
About the program:
The New Mexico VA Hospital’s historic campus serves Veterans from across New Mexico and offers training opportunities in the full spectrum of Behavioral Health including Acute Inpatient Adult and Geriatric Psychiatry; Outpatient Mental Health (MH) Clinics with specialty care for PTSD and Substance Abuse; Suicide Prevention Team; 24/7 ER coverage; Urgent Care Walk-in MH Clinic; Primary Care MH Integration Program; Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Programs (PTSD, SUD, and Domiciliary); dedicated Consult Liaison Team; and BH services in rural Community Based Outpatient Clinics. Our residents will also be able to attend didactic lectures with the University of New Mexico’s Psychiatry residents. The program is 1 year in duration.
Albuquerque, New Mexico is a city of 575,000 people that enjoys all four seasons and 310 days of sun per year. It is located adjacent to the Sandia Mountains, which provide excellent year round outdoor recreation activities. The city has over 200 parks and enjoys an vibrant local food scene. There is fascinating cultural diversity with influence of Native American and Hispanic culture
New Mexico is the 48th state of the union and has a remarkable geographic range. The geography ranges from the sandy deserts of the south to the scenic foothills of the Rockies just below the Colorado state line and has served to inspire generations of artists. There is skiing, hiking and there are many National Parks to explore. New Mexico is home to a thriving scientific community and hosts two national labs and several research facilities. There are more PhDs per capita in New Mexico than any other state.
- 2019 stipend $75,244 (See http://vaww.oaa.med.va.gov/DBReports/LocBasedStipends.aspx for current stipend)
- 13 days’ vacation time and 13 days’ sick time
- 10 federal holidays
- Eligible for health, vision and dental insurance
- Liability coverage
- Be graduates of programs accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) and certified by The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Have a current, full, active, and unrestricted license to practice PA in a State, Territory of Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Be citizens of the United States.
- Have registered for the draft by age 26 (male applicants born after 12/31/1959) to be eligible for any US government employment, including selection as a paid VA trainee.
- Document that vaccinations are up to date and that screening for active tuberculosis is complete prior to starting the residency
- Have a command of the English language that is sufficient to facilitate accurate and unhampered communication with patients
For more information, contact the program co-directors:
Dr. Barbara Cechanowicz, PhD, PA-C, Psychiatry CAQ: Barbara.Cechanowicz@va.gov